Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Getting Schooled

We rolled out to Brighton on Saturday for Schoolyard cross full of high hopes. Breeze had just catted up with her win at Boulder Cup and I was coming off my best weekend of the year with good rides at Boulder CUp and the Cross Classic. Not to mention that the Plains to Peaks team was awesome at the UCI races and we were getting Jesse back.

Honestly, it didn't take long for that to change for me. Breeze rode great and was 14th in the open and I took my place at the start. The course was all native crass. It was muddy but drying in a hurry, but it was bumpy and slow. Velcro slow. I'm not sure why, but I don't fair well at the power course. We started on the grass and after an interesting false start by Shawn, we were off. through the trench and up the hill to the mini barriers which we all hopped. across the top and then down the hill to the mud on the backside of the course. We were strung out but all together there.From there a U turn along the lake and then a left away from it. These two sections were unbelievably slow. Like, get off and check to see if the brakes are rubbing slow. I was hurting bad, but staying in touch. Josh was just in front of me and so was Scotty. I was thinking I can do this and just hung on. Somewhere around the end of the second lap, it all unraveled. I was coming out of corners and shifting to the gear i would normally ride and my body was shaking its head, saying "you ain't got that gear today buddy."

The group rode away and then the masses began to come by. I managed to hold on to them for a couple minutes, but then they were gone again. It was humbling stuff. Now, I know how fast Allen Krughoff is. i train with him a good bit and have raced with him for three years. I also know how hard he and Danny were going at the front, but when they lapped me, I was done. i was pretty bummed. the lights went out. I stopped fighting for a bit and although I hammered the last lap, I had given up. I finished 22nd. 2 spots out of the points and the 2 spots were just in front of me. lesson learned. Never, ever give in. Sometimes you are in a far better spot than you think.

Though i wasn't great, it was a great day for Plains to Peaks racing. Spencer, Scott and Jesse were all in the top ten and the team is now solidly third in the CO Cup standings. Not bad for a little thing we threw together at the start of the season. A big thanks to Curve, BCSM, Specialized, Breeze Bars and Mix1 for their support. We couldn't do it without you.

We met up with Allen, Scott and Josh later and went out on the town for a little. It was a needed unwind and a nice reminder that although racing is important to me. my friendships are more so. I would rather get beating by these guys and call them my friends than to beat them but miss out on the relationships.

Sunday would be another day.


No comments: