Monday, November 28, 2011

In the Chain Gang

I have never broken a chain in a race. Not in my years racing Xterra, Mtb, road or cross. I have often thought myself lucky, because it is such a complete ending. I was lucky, until Saturday.

I, like many of the guys, fell in love with the Westminster course last year. it is fast, techy in spots and super fun. I was really looking forward to giving it a run after a good weekend of racing last week. Boulder Racing races are tough for Breeze and I as we are always doing the Breeze Bars table at the venue. Saturday was no different and I found myself with Breeze on course, riding the training, while explaining the fine points of Breeze Bars. I headed to the start a little unprepared, but I figured I could make it further than the 15 feet I made it without incident last year. I was right, barely.

We came out of the start well and hit the grass in a good spot. On the first chicane, Pete Weber went for the inside only to find a tree in his line. He bobbled and a couple guys went down and we were stacked up. I was in a huge gear from the start and made a terrible choice to try and stay on the bike. It would have taken 10 steps and I would have been clear, but I chose to try and ride it. The problem was I was in that big gear and when I tried to go, I snapped the chain. Done.

I went to the pits looking for Breeze's bike, but she wasn't done with it yet, we were only 3 minutes into the race. I found her warming down and mugged her for her bike and headed out. I was at least 3 + minutes down, but I was going to race. I did race, I caught a few people and was turning good lap times. They were a couple of seconds slower than my normal companions, but on my wife's bike and alone in the wind, that's pretty good. I rolled in 27th, not bad, but not good. I was however, to watch the race unfold and watched a huge performance by my man Josh Whitney. He was right there all day and took 11th. Summerhill took the win and JHK and Allen Krughoff rounded out the podium. 

No comments: